(Abgoosht with Chicken)
Frrom Pari Ardalan Malek's Joy
of Persian Cooking: Persian-American Cuisine (2000, Abjad Book Designers
1 chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
1 large sliced onion
1 cup white beans
3 medium potatoes
8 cups cold water
1 tablespoon uncooked rice
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Wash chicken pieces and sauté in oil in a skillet. Remove
and set aside.
2. Sauté onions in the same oil until golden.
3. In a separate pot, place beans and rice. Add chicken to this pot.
4. Add water, salt, pepper and fried onions. Bring to a boil, skim and
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
6. If beans are not tender, remove chicken pieces.
7. Add whole potatoes and cook remaining ingredients for another 30 minutes.
8. Add the chicken pieces back to the pot and serve.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Serves 6 persons
book from amazon.com
to "Persian cooking" recipe index