Frrom Pari Ardalan Malek's Joy
of Persian Cooking: Persian-American Cuisine (2000, Abjad Book Designers
4 ounces sliced almonds with skin
8 tablespoons butter (do not substitute)
1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons ground raw pistachios for garnish
1. In a medium size pan, cook all ingredients, except almonds, over
medium heat for 15 minutes.
2. When color changes, add almonds at once and stir. Mixture will be
stiff and sticky.
3. Spread evenly onto a greased 17 inch x 11 inch cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
5. Since mixture softens while baking, remove candy from oven and quickly
even out the top, so almonds are evenly spaced, then return to oven.
6. When Sohaan Assal is ready, remove from oven, and sprinkle with ground
7. Cool well and break into pieces and store in an air-tight container.
8. Candy keeps almost indefinitely when refrigerated.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Makes 3 medium jars
book from amazon.com
to "Persian cooking" recipe index