Student council say six still missing after unrest
TEHRAN, Aug 5 (AFP) - An Iranian student body said on Thursday that
six students were still missing after protesters in Tehran were attacked
by security forces and Islamic vigilantes last month.
The Elected Council of Student Protesters issued a statement saying
the fate and well-being of six students was still unclear and called for
help from the public, press reports said Thursday.
"Since we started our investigations, a list of all those students
reported missing, injured and arrested was set up with the help of received
information from the public," the council said, the pro-government
Arya newspaper reported.
"From the 100 students which were reported missing, the fate and
well-being of six is still unclear," it said.
"We call on the public to give us any information on the six listed
individuals still missing."
Police arrested 1,400 people following protests in early July over the
closure of a leading pro-reform newspaper, which sparked six days of bloody
clashes pitting demonstrators against security forces and Islamic hardliners.
The unrest left one person dead in the Iranian capital and three wounded,
according to official figures.
Pro-reform newspapers said five people died and dozens of people were
wounded, many of whom were later abducted from Tehran hospitals by the
secret police. ---