Cyprus denies reports of attack on Kyprianou in Tehran
NICOSIA, May 18 (AFP) -Cyprus on Tuesday denied an Iranian newspaper
report that the Cypriot parliament speaker had been the target of a bomb
attack in Tehran.
The director general of the Cypriot foreign ministry, Andreas Pirishis
told AFP that the incident, which he said occurred on Sunday, had nothing
to do with speaker Spyros Kyprianou.
"Three or four individuals tried unsuccessfully to enter the premises
of the residence of the Cypriot ambassador to Tehran," he said.
"They attacked the guard, and before fleeing threw an object that
could have been a bomb, but which did not explode. It is up to the police
to discover what kind of thing it was."