Excellence in education awards
The Association of Professors and Scholars of Iranian Heritage (APSIH)
conducted its third annual graduation ceremony for outstanding graduating
students of Iranian background, last Saturday, April 22, 2000. The event
was attended by about 300 friends and family members of the graduates.
In his welcoming speech, Dr.
Kamran Abedini, President of APSIH, asked the graduates to become role
models for the youth and the future generation of the Iranian community
by aiming high, and trying to achieve the highest positions in their fields
of study, while at all times acknowledging their Iranian heritage.
The program started by introducing those who were to receive the Distinguished
Scholar, and Distinguished Service awards of the association. The recipients
Lotfi Zadeh, father of fuzzy logic and fuzzy system theory, Dr. Hassan
Dabiri, a pioneer in petrochemical education in Iran, Dr. Farroukh Ajir,
chief of neurosurgery at the Kaiser-Permanente Medical Group, and president
of Kaiser Foundation Hospital, and Mr. Ali Razi, member of the board of
trustees of the California State University system.
Approximately seventy students were recognized and received certificates
of Excellence in Education, with expected or awarded degrees ranging from
high school diploma to doctor of philosophy. Some of them were also chosen
to receive special financial awards and trophies, namely:
- Neda Afsarmanesh, The Dr. Mojtahedi Award of Excellence in High School
- Sara Shokravi, The Ali Razi Award of Excellence in Community Service
- Mona Karimpour, The Ali Razi Award of Excellence in Community Service
- Farnoush Sarafian, The Award of Excellence in Accounting Education
- Hossain Heidari, The Abadan Institute of Technology Alumni Association-USA
- Mehdi Hashemian, The APSIH Award of Excellence in Leadership
- Shahrdad Lotfipour, The APSIH Award of Excellence in Leadership
- Shahram Shidmand, The Melkonian Award of Excellence in Dental Education
- Dr. Daniel Behroozan, The Zakaria Razi Award of Excellence in Medical
- Dr. Negar Ghafouri, The APSIH Young Scholar Award
At the conclusion of the program, Dr. Iraj Ershaghi, a founding member
of APSIH was honored by the association for years of devoted service to
enhancing student lives. He then asked the Iranian community to cooperate
in raising the needed funds to financially support those outstanding students,
who, due to financial constraints, are unable to continue their successful
Bijan Mortazavi, a talented Iranian singer and an expert musician also
participated in the program and acknowledged his cooperation to help raise
scholarship funds for the students of Iranian heritage.
To view the list of all the honored students, and also acquire information
on APSIH, please contact them at http://www.apsih.org.