The Polish Postal Service has commemorated the role Isfahan played during World War 2 in caring for Polish orphans.
The new stamp, “Isfahan – the City of Polish Children”, went on sale earlier this month. It depicts a pupil at School No. 15 near Isfahan
(Stanislaw Stojakowski), standing in front of a Persian carpet woven at the city’s Carpet School in 1944.
In 1942, Isfahan housed thousands of Polish orphans released from the Soviet work camps of Siberia and Kazakhstan. At its peak, twenty one areas of the city were exclusively allocated to the welfare of the ragged and emaciated orphans who had been sent there from reception centres in Anzali, Tehran and Mashad. Many of them remained in the city for up to three years, earning it the title “City of Polish children”, the name which also appears (in Polish) on the stamp’s First Day Commemorative Cover. In addition, the cover sports a design showing hundreds of the Polish names fading illegibly into oblivion.
Between 1942 and 1945, Iran played host to almost 150,000 men, women and children of the “Polish Exodus from Russia”. The majority of the children ended up in Isfahan.
The stamp, issued on 10th June 2008, has a face value of 2 zloty 40 groszy,
and is already proving extremely popular with the Polish public.