TEHRAN, Iran — An Iranian reformist website says the country’s opposition has formally asked authorities for permission to hold a rally on the anniversary of the disputed June 12 presidential election.
The request indicates the opposition plans to go ahead with the gathering despite earlier warnings by police they will confront any illegal demonstration on that date.
Website Sahamanews on Monday said opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mahdi Karroubi sent a joint letter to the Tehran provincial governor asking for the permit.
The two ran in the 2009 balloting, which the opposition says President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won through fraud and that Mousavi was the rightful winner. It says 80 demonstrators have died so far in the government crackdown on opposition protests.