Iran’s opposition leader has pledged to continue the struggle against the government, despite canceling a mass protest for the anniversary of last June’s disputed presidential election.
A statement by Mir Hossein Mousavi on Saturday says the opposition will “continue our peaceful methods.”
Mousavi and another top figure, Mahdi Karroubi, had called off the planned rally, citing fears for the lives of the protesters in the face of a violent government crackdown.
The opposition says at least 80 protesters have died so far in street clashes between security forces and protesters in the post-election turmoil — Iran’s worst unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Mousavi says that while the opposition “may put off its presence in one arena,” it will persevere through other ways.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — The evolution of Iran’s year-old opposition movement has been a study in indecision. Should it risk bloodshed and take to the streets? Is the aim to topple the ruling clerics or push for gradual reforms?