The shelter used by Reza Shah Pahlavi and his family during World War II was opened to the public on June 21 at Tehran’s Sadabad Cultural Historical Complex.
The shelter, consisting of one room and two hallways, was constructed by Germans for the Shah’s family as a refuge in case of impending danger during World War II (1939-45).
Built inside one of the natural hills in north east of the complex, it is estimated that the shelter was constructed sometime in the early 1940’s during the war.
And now after all these years, the shelter is home to an exhibition of documents, photos and slides pertaining to World War II, and Iran’s neutral stance in the war and the destruction suffered by several Iranian cities in those years.
Some of the photos on display feature visits between Iranian officials and the Allies. Also included are their agreements and several official letters inscribed by Iranian ambassadors in Britain and France.