SULAIMANIYAH, Iraq — Kurdish rebels fighting Iran’s government from bases across the border in Iraq denied Monday that Iranian forces carried out a cross-border raid.
Iran’s state television reported Sunday that Revolutionary Guard forces crossed into Iraq and killed 30 fighters from a group involved in a deadly bomb attack last week at a military parade in northwestern Iran. Iranian officials blamed the bombing on Kurdish rebels, though most Kurdish groups condemned the attack and there has been no claim of responsibility.
Sherzad Kamanger, a spokesman for Iranian Kurdish rebels based in Iraq’s Qandil Mountains, said Monday that there have been no recent battles with Iranian forces, though there was some Iranian artillery shelling late Sunday on four border villages that injured one civilian.
“We have not engaged in any clashes with the Iranian force since nearly 20 days ago,” Kamanger told The Associated Press in a phone interview.
Jabbar Yawir, a spokesman for Iraq’s Kurdish forces, also said no Iranian troops crossed the border.