The White House on Sunday urged Iran to allow active dialogue among its citizens, accusing the government of “ongoing hypocrisy” after a human-rights group said two opposition figures had been moved from where they were detained under house arrest.
The statement, issued by National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor, said the U.S. “strongly condemns the Iranian government’s organized intimidation campaign and arrests of political figures, human rights defenders, political activists, student leaders, journalists and bloggers” and accused the Iranian government of blocking Internet sites and jamming satellite transmissions.
“The United States and the world will continue to bear witness to the Iranian government’s blatant violation of the universal rights of its citizens and its ongoing hypocrisy,” Vietor said in the statement. “The Iranian government should allow active dialogue among its citizens, freedom of speech, and freedom of assembly without fear.”
The statement comes after the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran called for the release of Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, and their wives, whom the campaign said had been taken to an unknown location. Mousavi ran for president of Iran in the disputed 2009 elections of incumbent leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Karroubi is a former parliament member who also ran on a reform platform.
Mousavi and Karroubi and their wives “have been disappeared; they are being held incommunica… >>>