Tripoli, Libya (CNN) — Libyan government forces directed their assault Monday on civilian areas of Misrata, resulting in a number of civilian casualties, witnesses said.
“It’s just hell,” said Marie Colvin, a foreign affairs correspondent for the Sunday Times of London, who has been in the city for a week. “Civilian neighborhoods are being decimated as we speak.” She said that at least 10 people had been killed and at least 30 others wounded.
But figures were difficult to confirm; CNN was not in the city.
A resident of Misrata who asked to be identified only as Mohammed said Monday that six people were killed in the morning.
Subscribe to The Iranian newsletter
Sign up for our daily newsletter to get the top news stories delivered to your inbox.