Never has the Islamic Republic more needed to make friends, not enemies. Yet every Khamenei policy does the reverse inside and outside Iran. His key decisions are so inexplicably bad, I could almost believe CIA or Mossad “infiltrators” were advising him. Even long-time collaborators now notice and complain, though obviously not from moral scruples. If his crimes worked, they’d have no problem.
THREE RECENT INTERNAL DECISIONS THAT MAKE NO SENSE
Khamenei fears an election boycott, yet today his Guardian Council announces it has banned more candidates than ever (45%). Khamenei needs ex-reformers to turn up, yet he continues to “send a message” by arresting journalists and known reformers. Knowing Ahmadinejad will benefit politically, Khamenei endorses more “compulsive Islamization” laws than ever. Can’t he see that this attempt to create a Shiite version of Wahhabbism will never “play” with most Iranians?
FIVE RECENT EXTERNAL DECISIONS THAT MAKE NO SENSE
What a great time to reinforce external perceptions that it’s impossible to live peacefully with the Islamic Republic! Not only do covert destabilization, intimidation and “Export the Revolution” schemes continue but they have stepped up. Here are some Khamenei-approved stunts of the past six months.
1. the British embassy raid.
2. A Thailand plot involving a member of Hezbollah with tons of explosives. (This stunt would easily have killed or wounded hundreds people from at least a score of nations).
3. the Washington plot (This stunt would have killed at least 20 US civilians and the Saudi ambassador.
4. An obvious scheme to turn Iraq into the Islamic Republic II, complete with persecution of minorities (Does it tick off all Arab neighbors? Wiil they intervene covertly to prevent it? Stay tuned).
5. So many Iranian advisers, weapons, snipers and “how to suppress your people” advisers to Assad (Does this also inflame Arab neighbors against Iran?)