General Gholam Reza Azhari meets the Foreign Press amidst the turmoil in Iran and Khomeiny’s Return:
Gholam Reza Azhari (1912 – November 5, 2001) was a military leader and Prime Minister of Iran. Born in Shiraz, he enrolled in Officer Training School during the 1940’s and climbed his way rapidly up the ranks, becoming a major generalin the Imperial Iranian Army. He served as interim Prime Minister of a military government until a civilian government could be chosen. He served as Prime Minister from November 6, 1978 to December 31, 1978. He died in exile in the United States on Nov 5th, 2001.
His cabinet was composed of 8 members (5 military men and 3 civilians)
▪ General Gholam Ali Oveissi, Military Governor of Tehran (Labour and Social Affairs),
▪ General Iraj Moghaddam, head of the Security Police (Energy),
▪ General Arteshbod Gharebaghi (Interior),
▪ General Abdol Hassan Sa’adatmand (Information and Tourism),
▪ General Reza Amini (War)
▪ Amir Khosrow Afshar (Foreign Affairs),
▪ Reza Amin (Industry),
▪ Karim Motamedi (Posts and Telecommunications).
Subscribe to The Iranian newsletter
Sign up for our daily newsletter to get the top news stories delivered to your inbox.