The program that started it all nine years ago is back and bigger than ever! This October 13-14, 2012, at UCLA, IAAB will host its 5th International Conference on the Iranian Diasopra. This year’s conference will include keynote speakers Professor Hamid Naficy and Noosheen Hashemi.
The IAAB Conference creates an innovative forum for academics, graduate students, journalists, artists, and community leaders to discuss the development, challenges, and needs of our global community. The first and biggest program of its kind, presenters will join us from the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Asia, and North America, bringing a truly global perspective to these important conversations.
Topics to be included in this conference include:
* Refugees and Asylees: Rights, Challenges, and Advocacy
* The Impact of the Sanctions on the Iranian American Community
* The Production of Diasporic Media
* Race and Profiling
* Social Services and the Iranian American Community
* Transnational Activism in and between Iran and the Iranian Diaspora
* Iranian Community Centers: Lessons Learned, Models, and Challenges
* The Roles of Iranian Student Organizations: Advocacy vs. Cultural Programming
* Cultural Production in the Diaspora
* Storytelling: Oral, Visual, and Multimedia Histories of Iranians in Diaspora
IAAB is also pleased to present a film series during the Conference, featuring the work of diaspora filmmakers.
For the Saturday evening entertainment of the Conference, IAAB is pleased to support the Los Angeles debut of Mahmoud, Tara Gerami’s award-winning one-woman play that took the Toronto and New York Fringe Festivals by storm!
Registration opens today and space is limited – register today!
Click here to see full schedule.