Iran’s PressTV reports that leaders in Tehran have rejected French President Macron’s offer to mediate new negotiations with the US over the Islamic Republic’s missile program, saying this is “non-negotiable”.
Macron and Trump both appeared optimistic at a closing G7 summit press conference that such a direct meeting with Iran’s President Rouhani could happen “within weeks”. Though The Washington Post hours after those statements cited a source saying Rouhani was “open” to such renewed talks, it now appears Iran has slammed the door shut.
PressTV cited a government source who said Iranian officials had already informed Macron that “new negotiations” – especially direct talks with Trump – remain contingent upon Washington returning to the nuclear deal, or JCPOA.
Reporter to Trump: Macron said he'd like to see talks between you and Rouhani within weeks. Does that seem realistic?
"It does," Trump replied. "I think Iran wants to get this situation straightened out. Now is that based on fact or based on gut? It's based on gut" pic.twitter.com/gpKTQlJ6tk
— POLITICO (@politico) August 26, 2019
However, there could be a small opening regarding Macron’s idea of a $15BN credit line should Iran refrain from breaching uranium enrichment caps under the terms of the JCPOA:
Reacting to the French president’s idea of establishing a $15 billion credit line for Iran in a trade mechanism to help Tehran conduct business, the source told Press TV that Iran had responded by saying that it would consider reversing its decision to scale back some of its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal if the line is established.
Iran has vowed repeatedly that it would never bow to Washington pressures and threats, stressing that Trump’s “talk with me or else…” ultimatum won’t work.