Christiane Amanpour interviewing President Khatami, January 7 , 1998
Iranian Woman of the Year
March 23, 1998
CNN special correspondent Christiane Amanpour received the highest number of nominations as the most accomplished Iranian woman of the past year.
Comments on Amanpour
* She emobies the spirit of the younger Iranian generation, a bi-cultural upbringing and success in a competitive field. She has shown the entire world that Iranian women, through their hard work, are active, modern, educated, and successful.
Taher G. Behbehani
* Almost single-handedly has refocused the attention of the media on the human side of the situation in Iran.
Anthony B. Shoraka
* She has kept the spotlight on Iran throughout her career. In doing so, she has not only sought to increase the West's dialogue with Iran (e.g. Khatami interview), but also portrayed Iran (i) in a positive light and (ii) when not totally positive, at least a sophisticated light that defies simplistic U.S. coverage. The Khatami interview was a watershed event.
* She openly talks about her Iranian heritage; she is known all over the world; she is courageous and modest, and she was instrumental in opening a dialogue between the U.S. and Iran.
* She said in a interview on PBS, " I am proud to be an Iranian."