Survey questions send to more than 7,000 members of The Iranian Times.
* Are you male of female?
* How old are you?
* What level of education have you completed?
* What do you do currently?
* How long have you lived in the United States? How old were you when you moved to the US?
* Do you speak/read/write Farsi? If yes, how fluently?
* Do your parents live in the United States?
* How frequently do you call Iran?
* How frequently do you visit Iran?
* Are most of your friends Iranian? If no, what nationalities are most represented?
* Do you speak Farsi with your Iranian friends or English, or some mixture thereof?
* Do you dream or think in Farsi or English?
* What kind of music do you like?
If you prefer Iranian music, who are your favorite artists?
* Do you watch Iranian TV? If yes, how frequently?
* Do you watch Iranian movies? If yes, how frequently? How do you find Iranian films?
* Do you like Iranian food?
* Do you eat Iranian food? If yes, how frequently? At restaurants or prepared at home?
* Do you decorate your residence/room with Iranian objects? What kind of objects?
* What do you like best and least about your life in the United States?
* What do you like best and least about life in Iran?
* Would you ever live in Iran? If yes, under what conditions? If no, why not?
* In speaking to Americans, do you call yourself Iranian, American, or Iranian-American?
* When you say "my country" which country do you mean?
* Have you found the United States in any way more liberating than Iran?
* When you think about Iran, do you consider the land, its culture, its people, or the Islamic Republic? Please elaborate on what images come to you when you say Iran.
* Do you keep up with news of Iran?
* Do you celebrate Iranian holidays? Which ones?
* Do you want to marry an Iranian? Why?
* Is there any family pressure on you to marry an Iranian? If yes, what would happen if you didnŐt?
* Do you modify your name in an American setting in order for the Americans to pronounce it more easily? How?
* Are you active in the Iranian community in the United States? What do you do?
* Do you go to mostly Iranian bars, restaurants, clubs, parties, etc. or American ones or other?
* If you ever have children, would you want them to be Iranian, American, or Iranian-American?
* If you ever have children, would you name them by Iranian names and would you want them to learn to speak/read/write Farsi?
* Do you think that your values are Iranian or American?
* What do you like and dislike about Iranian family structure?
* How familiar do you consider yourself with Iranian history, geography, and culture?
* How do you feel about American pop culture (music, film, etc.)?
* Have you ever been discriminated against in the United States? How?
* Do you consider the characterizations of Iran in the media (films, books, newspapers) fair? Please explain?
* Do you think you are similar to or different than most other Iranians in the United States? How?
* What should the Iranian community in the United States focus on? (Political lobbying, cultural events, social events, networking, etc.)
* Where do you want to be buried?
* Also by Laleh Khalili
- Absence: traveling to Iran after twelve years.