Those who have been to the University of Sussex in England do not need me to tell them that the library desks of this university have almost all been riddled with all sorts of graffiti, some of which are gradually fading away, and some are coated with black leather covers.
As soon as you sit yourself at one of these desks, you are bombarded with all kinds of juvenile messages that sometimes amuse and sometimes shock.
The scrawls about sex outnumber the others. One may wonder why in a country where they give full play to the libido from adolescence, youngsters are still so obsessed with matters related to sex.
The graffiti engraved on our poor library desks usually fall into the following categories. The CAPITALISED ones show other students' reactions. On the whole, they make an interesting read. WARNING: Some of the profanity is quite strong. DO NOT read if…
– I hate me.
I HATE YOU TOO.
– Fuck all English people.
– British imperialists set up the first concentration camp in South Africa in 1900.
– I hate England; I 'm English.
FUCK OFF THEN.
– All art is quite useless, according to Oscar Wilde.
– Capitalism is the root of all evil.
WOMAN IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.
MAN IS THE ROOT OD ALL EVIL.
I AM THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.
FUCK YOU THEN!
IDIOT! CAPITALISM HAS ITS ROOTS IN HUMAN NATURE.
HUMANS, THEREFORE, ARE THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.
– Privatisation means rob the poor and feed the rich.
– Leeds, Leeds, Leeds
SHIT, SHIT, SHIT.
– Why do the Greeks smell?
BECAUSE THEY ARE SO BUSY FUCKING YOUR MOM THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE TIME TO TAKE A SHOWER.
– Happiness is like a bar of soap in a prison shower. As soon as you try to reach it, someone jerks you in the arse.