Today I will share another recipe which is delicious any day, but the easy ingredients and cooking instructions make it a quick dinner after a long day. It is also a vegetarian recipe. Note that my recipe doesn’t call for shaping and frying individual Kookoo patties, the way cooks with more time can make and which is really the proper way of presenting this meal. My recipe is intended for easier and faster cooking, hence the different appearance.
- Potatoes: 1 KG (6-7 medium-sized potatoes)
- Onion: One medium-sized
- Eggs: Six to 7
- Vegetable or virgin olive oil: 1/4 cup
- Baking soda: An Iranian teaspoon (ghashogh chai khori), optional
- Salt and pepper and turmeric: to taste. You can also add a dash of cinnamon if you like
- Peel, rinse, dry, and grind or finely chop the potatoes.
- Peel and grind or finely chop the onions.
- Mix the ground potatoes and onions.
- In a large bowl, break the eggs and mix. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and baking soda and cinnamon and mix.
- Add the potatoes and the onions. Mix.
- In a deep, non-stick saucepan, heat the oil on high.
- Pour the mix into the saucepan, using the back of a spoon to smooth and even out the top.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan.
- In 15 minutes cut the Kookoo into four pieces and carefully turn each piece over one by one. Don’t cover the pan again.
- Let the other side cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with bread and salad.