1. Dominance of Shia Islam in Iran was Khomeini's number one priority.
2. He hated Western (liberal) and Eastern (communist) influences.
3. Detested the perceived power of the Baha’i and the Jews over Iranian politics.
4. Decided that #1 could only be secured against #2 and #3 through an active political role by the Shia clergy (Faghih).
5. Initially (1950’s) considered Shah a positive force against the communist threat.
6. Later (1960’s) determined that Shah had turned and decided to undermine Shia Islam (like his father).
7. Became Shah’s mortal enemy and cooperated with most other opposition groups in exile.
8. Finally (1978) became the uniting father-figure for the Iranians uprising against the Shah.
9. Turned into America’s mortal enemy, due to their perceived support of Shah’s bloody suppression of revolution.
10. After victory (1979) came to hate the communists and other leftists, for challenging the Shia ideology - and finally decided to destroy them all.