So a few changes have been pushed to production and are now live on the site. They include:
- Blocking: When blocking a user, you are essentially ignoring them and preventing them from interacting with any of your blogs. You will not see any of their posts, comments, etc. In essence, they do not exist while you are logged in and perusing the site. The pop up when blocking a user needs cosmetic work, and if you experience any bugs w/ this feature, please post it here.
- Per the request of a few folks, you can now "dislike" a comment. @EsfandAashena I saw your request re: anonymity when liking or disliking comments. Personally, I definitely would like to know who has liked and disliked my comments. I feel that this level of transparency is healthy for the community and makes us more aware and thoughtful of our actions. That said, I welcome everyone's feedback...
- We have a few power users who post a flurry of News and Blogs. While I appreciate the passion and contributions, it is easy for those folks to dominate the upper half of the home page. Thus, a limit of 2 blogs and 2 news items are allowed for a 24 hour period. Do those thresholds sound reasonable or should we allow more/less?
- Video blogs: In addition to YouTube, you can now add Vimeo videos. I will add this option to text blogs as well.
- In the event that you have not noticed, a few weeks ago a "Subscribe" option was added to comment threads. When subscribed, you wil be notified of any new comments made for that particular thread. You can unsuscribe in the same manner.
- Farsi font: Lots of good (pretty) Frasi fonts have been identified for the Farsi version of the site. Unfortunately, they tend to screw up the layout. We will continue to work on this...
- The Facebook "Recommend" button has been added.
- Archiving, switching of servers and other unexpected problems have finally been fixed. Google has started to re-index 2008 - 2012 posts and I have started to see an increase in organic search engine traffic. I will post a chart in a few weeks that shows the sudden cliff when that content went missing, and the gradual rise now that it is back online. We will also add a prominent link on those archived pages, so as to help drive users to the new layout. Archived content can be found here: http://iranian.com/main/index.html
By next week...
- All comments and blogs will be reviewed by 2 moderators before they are published. This is a much needed step to ensure that this community maintain a respectful, informative and engaging conversation between commenters and bloggers.
- At that time, the "Community blogging and commenting standards" will be published and yes, enforced.
- I see many users delete their comment, only to repost it. I assume that this is usually due to typos. Hence, a preview option and larger text box will be available next week. In light of this, the option of deleting comments will be removed.
New Layout: By the 15th of February (give or take a few days), the new layout will have a home page that includes select blogs that the Iranian.com editor/staff has picked to be featured. Blogs will be the main column, with curated news links (again selected by the IC team) taking up a much smaller piece of real estate on the home page.
In addition to being featured on the home page, those blogs will also be available in one of the following site categories: Politics, Life and Style, Entertainment, Business & Economy, Arts & Literature and an Open category. Non-featured blogs will reside on the Blog Central page. News will also have its own dedicated page.