April 5-April 9, 1999 / Farrvardin 16-20, 1378
| Business| Rights
* Art: Gallery Ovissi: 1001 Arabian Nights
* Art: Aileen Falah's art in DC
* Language: Persian courses at University of Texas
* Lecture: Ali Bazargan in Sunnyvale
Spring at UC Davis
* Booksigning: A World Between, in Los Angeles
Iran human rights meeting, New York
* Conference: U.S.-Iranian Agricultural Markets
Iranian studies, Maryland
* Women: International conference
* Conference: Iranian-Americans: Who Are We Becoming?
* Music: Aldoush performance in Berkeley
* Conference: Iranian academic conference, New York
* Performance: Wilson and Glass do Rumi
* Lecture: Ehsan Yarshater Lectures Series, UCLA
* Conference: Mechanical eng. conference, Tehran
* Film: Iranian film festival in Houston, up to Aptil
| Business| Rights
* Aileen Falah's art in DC
WHAT: EXHIBIT - Aileen Falah's Paintings, and Sculptures
WHEN: Friday March 12 - Saturday April 24 (Exhibit hours Thursday-Saturday
12:00 PM - 5:00 PM)
WHERE: Project Space, 625 E St. N.W. Washington DC
DETAILS: The opening ceremony will be from 8:00PM until 10:00 PM on Friday
Aileen's and 7 other artist's work will be on display.
* Gallery Ovissi: 1001 Arabian Nights
Gallery Ovissi is organizing a special and unique exhibition for November-December
1999 entitled: 1001 Arabian Nights: Holiday Show
We are looking for wonderful and whimiscal works of art and smaller
gift items as well as imports from all over Iran and the Middle East. The
goal is to present an array of works that carry the textures, colors and
patterns of the Persian and Middle Eastern world.
If you are an artist and/or a distributor for products that you feel
would be appropriate for this exhibitions please call or email Maryam Ovissi.
We are planning to do major advertising in the San Francisco area for this
exhibitions- it will be the first of its kind!!
1425 Park Avenue
Emeryville, CA 94608
Gallery Ovissi is a unique tri-level gallery that specializes in contemporary
works by Iranian and Middle Eastern artists. Tel: 510-601-6874. West Coast
representative for Nasser Ovissi.
* Persian courses at University of Texas
Persianists and Students of Persian,
This is a second announcement for University of Texas at Austin's Summer
1999 Second-Year Persian Course, which runs from June 21 to August 13,
1999, with 95 contact hours of class sessions. Offering six university
credits, the course has a tuition charge of $1.050, while textbook materials
and audio cassette tapes cost about $90 ... DETAILS
* Ali Bazargan in Sunnyvale
This Friday, April 9, Ali Bazargan, the son of the late Prime Minister
Mehdi Bazargan will speak about THE MESSAGE OF QUR'AN FOR THE NEW AGE.
Mr. Bazargan has written several books including"Freedom in the Qur'an".
This lecture will be held at Sunnyvale Community Center located at 550
E. Remmington Drive; and will begin at 8:00 p.m.
For further information, please call (408) 737-1464 or (800) 919-2011.
This event is presented by Bonyad-e-Towhid in a series of cultural enrichment
programs for the Iranian Community in the Bay area; and has free admission.
* Spring at UC Davis
Iranian Student Cultural & Aesthetic Organization(ISCAO) cordially
invites you to the 2ND ANNUAL SPRING CELEBRATION at Freeborn Hall, UC Davis
on Sunday April 11, 1999. Doors open @3pm. Program Begins Promptly @ 4pm.
Students: $7 (w/ Valid Student ID). Non-Students: $15. Children Under 6:
Please Join This Festive Celebration Of The Onset Of Spring In An Afternoon
Filled With Authentic Persian Dancing Representative Of Various Subcultures
And Regions Of Iran, Comical Skits, Poetry, Music
Performances, including Santoor and Piano. All Performed By UC Davis
Students And Students From Neighboring Communities. Persian Tea and Authentic
Persian Pastries Will Be Served At Intermission! For Advanced Ticket Purchasing,
Please Contact; UC Davis Box Office @ 530-752-1915.
For More Information About Our Organization And To See Photographs of
Previous Performances Which You Might Have Missed, Please Visit Our Website:
* Booksigning: A World Between
There will be a booksigning at the Ketab Boostore located at 1419 Westwood
Blvd. in Los Angeles on April 25 at 6 pm with the authors and editors of
"A World Between". For more information, you can check our website
at www.ketab.com, and click the blue
banner stating next bok signing.
If you have any questions, please email back or contact Mr. Bijan Khalili
at (310) 477-7477 at the bookstore, or (818) 908-0808 at Ketab main office.
* Iran human rights meeting, New York
Iran National Front- New York Section Invites: Join us to celebrate:
the 50th. anniversary of the United Nations Human Rights Declration.
Part 1 : Mr. Mahmoud Rafi , Secretary of " The League for the Defence
of Human Rights in Iran" On : " Difficulties of Islamic Republic
on Conceptions of Human Rights" & Dr. Mansour Farhang on "
The Necessity of Promotion of Human Rights in Iran"
Part 2- A Documentary Film : " Shamloo the Great Poet of Freedam
"- 60 Minutes, Director : Moslem Mansouri; Producer: Bahman Maghsoudloo
: A display of " Life, Art & Thought of Ahmad Shamloo"
Date: Saturday April 24, 1999
Time : 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Place: Mathematics Building - room 312- Columbia University; Manhattan
New York. ( 116th. Street & Broadway )
* Conference: U.S.-Iranian Agricultural Markets
The Iranian Trade Association has organized an outstanding cast of leaders
to address the issues of: "US-Iranian Agricultural Markets: The Law
of Supply & Demand". This conference will be held on April 30th,
1999, 8:00am to 12:00pm at the Hyatt in Washington DC. BY INVITATION ONLY.
Confirmed speakers are:
* U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska)
* Jack Eberspacher, President, National Association of Wheat Growers
* Carole Brookins, CEO, World Perspectives Inc.
* Richard Bliss, CEO, Niki Trading Company
* Dr. Shirin Entezari, Esq., Shirin Entezari & Associates ... DETAILS HERE
* Conference: Iranian studies
The Third Biennial Conference on Iranian Studies, May 25-28, 2000, Hyatt
Regency Hotel, Bethesda, MD; organized by the American Institute of Iranian
Studies (AIIrS) and The Society for Iranian Studies (SIS) ... DETAILS HERE
* The Iranian Woman at the Threshold of the Year 2000
The Tenth International Conference of the Iranian Women's Studies Foundation
presents: The Iranian Woman at the Threshold of the Year 2000 - July 2-5,
1999 Montreal, Canada Concordia University... DETAILS
* Iranian-Americans: Who Are We Becoming?
A Dialogue Convened by the Iranian-American Cultural Association on
Saturday, 17 April 199, 2:00 pm-6:00 pm, at Georgetown University, Washington,
DC. ... DETAILS
* Aldoush performance in Berkeley
X DOT 25 Music invites you to a concert by Aldoush & The Human Exchange:
A New Interpretation of the Persian Folk Music
- Special Appearance by: Koorosh Angali, Reciting Poetry of Rumi, Hafez,
* Scott Hill: Alto, Soprano Sax, Clarinet
* Jeff Obee: Fretless Bass
* Dave McQueen: Tumback, Daff
* John Waller: Percussion
* Aldoush: Vocals, Nazaneen, Acoustic Guitar
* Koorosh Angali: Keyboards
When: Sunday March 28, 1999 8:00 PM
Where: Freight & Salvage - 111 Addison St. - Berkeley
Tickets $13.00 in Advance/$14.00 at the door - Info: (510) 548-1761
When: Sunday April 18, 1999 8:00 PM
Where: Ashkenaz - 1317 San Pablo Ave. - Berkeley
Tickets $7.00 at the door - Info: (510) 525-5054
* Iranian Academic Association conference, New York
It is a great pleasure to invite you to submit papers for the 4th IAA
(Iranian Academic Association) Annual Conference. The meeting will convene
at the City University of New York, New York City, on September 18-19,
1999. The theme of this scientific gathering has been chosen as: Oil, Petrochemicals,
Energy and the Environment ... DETAILS
* Wilson and Glass do Rumi
MONSTERS OF GRACE
Music composed by Philip Glass
Designed and directed by Robert Wilson
English Libretto from poems of Molana Jelaluddin Molavi (Rumi)
Where and What: Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall; Portland, Oregon
Box office information: 248- 4335
$34.50 General Admission (including service fee)
Wed. April 7th, 1999, 7pm and 9pm... DETAILS
* Mechanical engineering conference, Tehran
First call for Papers ISME2000
4th International Conference of Iranian Society of Mechanical Engineers
May 16-19, 2000
Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Conference Chairman: Prof. Mohammad Durali, School of Mechanical Engineering
Sharif University of Technology ... DETAILS
* Biennial Ehsan Yarshater Lectures Series, UCLA
The Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures at UCLA Presents
The Third Biennial Ehsan Yarshater Lectures Series Given By J.T.P. de Bruijn
Professor Emeritus of Persian Literature, Leiden University on "Aspects
of the Persian Masnavi"
* Lecture 1: "The Cycle of Human Existence: Ideas About the Past,
the Present and the Future of Humanity in Persian Masnavis"
Monday 5 April 1999 at 4 PM in 147 Dodd Hall
* Lecture 2: "The Masnavi in the History of Persian Literature"
Tuesday 6 April 1999 at 4 PM in 382 Kinsey Hall
* Lecture 3: "Storytelling in the Masnavi"
Wednesday 7 April 1999 at 4 PM in 382 Kinsey Hall
* Lecture 4: "Moral and Mystical Teaching in the Masnavi"
Thursday 8 April 1999 at 4 PM in 382 Kinsey Hall
* Lecture 5: "Occasional Poems in the Masnavi" Friday 9 April
1999 at 10 AM in 382 Kinsey Hall
* The Public is Welcome -- Admission Free
* Iranian film festival in Houston, up tp April 10
The series offers three powerful feature films from the quality cinema
made by veteran directors Mehrjui and Panahi and by newcomer Parviz Shahbazi.
It also features a remarkable full-length documentary co-directed by an
Iranian anthropologist and a well-known British filmmaker. Together, these
films offer affectionate and devastating glimpses of contemporary life
in Iran... MORE
Copyright © 1997 Abadan Publishing Co. All Rights
Reserved. May not be duplicated or distributed in any form